Sugar rushes from too much chocolate might not be the only thing you suffer from this long weekend if you’re not careful. The Province reports that ICBC stats show an average of four deaths and over six hundred injuries over this long weekend in B.C.
Over half of these accidents occur in the Lower Mainland. If you’re planning on rushing out of town, think twice before you leave. Slow down and use caution when driving.
ICBC has these tips to help prevent getting into an accident:
- Set realistic driving goals – plan ahead and allow for extra travel time and possible delays.
- Make sure your vehicle is up to date on maintenance.
- Be safe in all weather – the interior and the mountains may still be subject to snowfall or heavy rain.
- Drive with care – follow at a safe distance and abide by driving rules.
- Remove all distractions before starting – put away your cell phone and preset your music and GPS.
Enjoy a safe long weekend with friends and family. For the latest road conditions, be sure to check DriveBC – there are over 300 webcams and current condition listings to help you stay safe.