On average, one person is struck by a vehicle every day in Vancouver. Pedestrians are the most vulnerable users of the road. Shorter days and winter weather conditions increase pedestrian danger.
Keep these safety tips in mind when walking
1. Pay attention to your surroundings and be ready for unexpected events. Don’t allow your vision to be blocked by clothing or hats and always watch for turning cars.
2. Obey all traffic laws. Always cross the street at a designated crosswalk or intersection.
3. Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street and clearly show you intend to cross. Never assume a driver has seen you.
4. Always dress to be seen. Wear bright and reflective clothing and carry a flashlight to increase visibility at night.
5. Remove your headphones and never talk, text, or use electronic devices in an intersection or while crossing.
For more information
- North Vancouver Pedestrian Struck, Police Urge Caution in Winter’s Dark, North Shore News