While some brave malls and big box stores this holiday season, many prefer to shop online. Forbes offers the following essential tips to staying secure online and in-store this holiday season:
- Software Updates: Many hackers attempt to gain access to your information through outdated software. Make sure that every piece of software that you use, including apps, are as up to date as possible.
- Secured Websites: Secured website addresses begin with “HTTPS” rather than “HTTP”. Another indication is that there is a green padlock in front of the “HTTPS” in the address bar.
- Look for Secure Payment Seals: Look for payment seals such as Norton Secured or VeriSign. These verify that the website you are purchasing from is legit and also secure your information.
- Use Secure Passwords: A strong password should have at least eight characters with a mixture of alphanumeric characters and never use full words or personal information. Never use the same password across multiple sites.
- Internet Security Software: Be sure that your computer is running up-to-date security software suites to protect you again Internet threats such as phishing scams, malware, malicious websites and more.
- Use credit not debit: Credit cards give you a greater chance to dispute fraudulent charges before you have to pay your bill.
- Protect your PIN: Be aware of your surroundings and use your hand to guard your PIN when you enter it.
- Check your Statements: Regularly check your credit card and bank statements for fraudulent activities.
For More Information
- Essential Tips to Staying Secure Online and In-Store this Holiday Season, Forbes
Related Articles Across The Web: