Halloween is an exciting time for children. With the distraction of candy and costumes children can easily forget safety tips. Here are some simple tips to keep Halloween a safe night for everyone.
- Drive slower than usual on residential streets.
- Don’t pass stopped vehicles.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Look for children at intersections, on medians, and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly.
- Obey traffic regulations.
- Eliminate distractions inside the car.
- Teach children not to dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Cross the street at designated crosswalks.
- Teach children to only enter lit houses.
- Ensure children under 12 are supervised.
- If older children will be trick-or-treating without you ensure they are travelling in groups.
- Consider indoor community centre or local shopping centre Halloween night activities.
- Check Halloween treats before your children eat them.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers.
- Choose face paint and makeup instead of masks.
- Carry glow sticks or flashlights.
- Wear costumes that fit to avoid trips and falls.
- Use the sidewalk when possible.
Stay safe and have fun. Happy Halloween from Slater Vecchio!